BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

Played at Her Own Game

timjohn

Job : Fixing The Past and Building The Future
    Hobbies : Reading, Writing, SciFi, TV, I love science but was never much good at it but getting better all the Time

Played at Her Own Game

Post by timjohn on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 pm

I have been toying with this idea for sometime. I've always felt that 'The Woman' was so significant in the life of Sherlock, and of course to Sherlockians in general, yet she played such a small part in 'The Canon' with respect to the high volume of other material - 20 pages out of almost a thousand. It is my plan to 'resurrect' her. I will have the full outline within the week, meanwhile this is the general plot.

Irene and her new husband have made their way to Europe to start a new life.

The story is actually set in 1888 so its a time in Victorian history when wars and rumours of wars is rife. A massive international arms race was on. (Industrial Revolution)

Charles Augustus Milverton is obviously a very wealthy man and has invested heavily in the Arms industry.

It was thought that Charles had been killed by one Countess d'Albert, however it had been a professional actor in disguise who was despatched.

He had kept a low profile after that incidence and depended on his 'arms' investment as his main source of income.

He was well aware of the pre-marital lifestyle of Irene and also of the incident with the future King of Bohemia. He had a very experienced network of spy's on a par with Sherlock's (some double agents) and was also a close associate of the American Secretary of State (who wished to destabilise Europe) his aim was to gain the collaboration of the, now, King of Bohemia by the use of his weapon of choice - blackmail, and of course his target was none other than Irene Adler and the well documented photograph.

I will obviously require a very proficient Sherlock and Irene as well as a John and a Lestrade and it goes without saying A Charles... This will probably be to start a conventional story with obvious slash? overtones later on - you never know - this story is so involved with the history of the world that The Doctor may convert it to an AU. Anybody got any suggestions??? Tim

Last edited by timjohn on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Augustus spelled wrong)
    timjohn

Hobbies : Reading, Writing, SciFi, TV, I love science but was never much good at it but getting better all the Time

Re: Played at Her Own Game

Post by timjohn on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Wow! I Forgot Mycroft. Of Course Mycroft has to be a main character in a story like this. Tim
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Job : Consulting Detective
    Hobbies : Solving crimes, performing experiments, playing violin

Post by Sherlock Holmes on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:12 am

Just wanted to register my interest and say I'd definitely be up for this. I can either use this profile and write as Sherlock but I also have a John profile and would be happy to make a Charles.

Would this be a case of modern Sherlock getting somehow magically transformed into the Victorian era, or are they Victorian to start with? In which case, should we be Holmes and Watson?

Also, do you have any preference as to which character you would like to write for? I guess you should have first shout on that, seeing as it's your RP idea, then we'll slot in around you.
    Sherlock.

Job : Being me.
    Hobbies : Playing violin, research, annoying John.

Post by Sherlock. on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:14 am

I'll slot in around you guys as well. I'm back properly on Monday.
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:26 am

To be quite honest about it - I just thought it was a cool idea and I would prefer to have it developed by players who know what they're doing. My main aim was to bring in Irene Adler because she seems to be very popular and obviously with Moriarty off the scene 'after Reichenbach' in the BBC Sherlock, a similar dark character such as Charles A Milverton might do the trick. Greg has already told me that you guys have already got history with Sherlock and John (together) so that's seems like the natural order of things. If we can get Greg on board as Lestrade that would also be cool. I wouldn't mind playing Mycroft or even C.A.M. Any chance of telling me what you think of the basic story idea? There's not much of a 'Cold War' any more in the contemporary era - however India and China seem to be competing with regards to rising economies. But the first world war was set in the main spurt of technology after the start of the Industrial Revolution and lends itself to having C.A.M. blackmailing the Kind of Bohemia via Irene Adler's photo. I am quite happy for you experts to have a big input in the plot as I need to learn how to develop things. I'm full of ideas - its putting them across as role play that I have difficulty with. After the starter for 'The Light in The Falls' was posted I was pretty proud of my original idea - but the starter was so good I thought 'I wish I could do stuff like that'.
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:46 am

OK! I just made a decision. One of the few I do make. Because the storyline is based on the comeback of Charles A Milverton - I suppose I should play he. I will work on the idea and see if I can come up with a workable plot. Thanks for your help - how much detail do I have to put into an advert (I want to advertise for an IA)? Tim

PS Do I need to create a new profile to play C.A.M.?
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:42 am

I thought this might make a sort of starter. But of course I'm open to ideas, and especially constructive criticism. Not sure if its a bit too long?

Played at her Own game.

“Holmes what a fool”, he thought; should stick to being a plumber.

Charles had watched, bemused, from a plain, rickety ‘Hanson’ as his own funeral procession weaved slowly out the gates of his salubrious mansion. And what a funeral it was, dignitaries had come from all over the world; some to mourn an ally who had made them wealthier, some to rejoice with a sigh of relief at being freed from his monstrous grip.

He shifted in discomfort as he moved back from his viewpoint at the window and sat further in the middle of the seat. The cab righted itself, as he redistributed his corpulent mass. Momentarily, he reflected on his old mode of transport and for a second his anger rose at the recent smashing of his crest on the door of his opulent carriage.

“Mary Jane, you silly woman”

He hadn’t even bothered to know her name until it was brought to his attention that she taken to inviting an outsider into his garden. She had soon buckled, without torture, when it had been revealed that she was being ‘led up the garden path’ by none other than ‘the consulting sleuth’.

“Ahh! A woman scorned”

He sneered in a whisper.

False letters had swiftly been forged ‘by a small army’ of trusted clerks and deposited in the safe. His own double, disguised by the finest ‘make-up’ artist in Europe to, resemble none other than himself. He smirked at his own cunning, that his double, chosen to confront the amateur detective had been a double agent, for Holmes, and had been prevented from leaving the house on that fateful night.

Thomas Evans, what a fitting funeral for an uninspiring actor with, an even less inspiring name.

Hamstead, would never be the same again, and the world would reel to the ‘Dante’s Inferno’ his political aspirations would , shortly, release upon its stage.

His late associate ‘The Professor’ would rejoice in ‘the depths of hell’ when he realised that, he, his protégé, had realised his plans.

“Pity, Sherlock had not been one of his own league, such a nice looking chap”

He concluded.

Tim
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 am

timjohn wrote:OK! I just made a decision. One of the few I do make. Because the storyline is based on the comeback of Charles A Milverton - I suppose I should play he. I will work on the idea and see if I can come up with a workable plot. Thanks for your help - how much detail do I have to put into an advert (I want to advertise for an IA)? Tim

PS Do I need to create a new profile to play C.A.M.?
    Is this one set about 1896? A year after Holmes returned.

You can if you want to but you don't have create a new profile account for C.A.M. I think it helps to have seperate ones but it's how you feel about using one account for different characters.

Just give enough info in an advert so that someone can decide if they want to be in the rp to play Irene.

My John account is His-Doctor btw
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

The original C.A.M. story was in 1899 (I think?) and Hansom Cabs were around until just after the turn of the century when motorised cabs came in.

I wanted C.A.M.'s, return to be leading up to the war years (from the turn of the century). This was just a way of explaining C.A.M.'s return I'm not sure if it needs to be a starter? Do I add to much information?

OK I did the advert for Irene and Mycroft.

Thanks for the bracket bit - I din't even know what OOC meant. Told you I have a lot to learn that's why I never got going in the first place.  Tim

Last edited by timjohn on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to add explanantion)
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 am

timjohn wrote:The original C.A.M. story was in 1899 (I think?) and Hansom Cabs were around until just after the turn of the century when motorised cabs came in.

I wanted C.A.M.'s, return to be leading up to the war years (from the turn of the century). This was just a way of explaining C.A.M.'s return I'm not sure if it needs to be a starter? Do I add to much information?

OK I did the advert for Irene and Mycroft.

Thanks for the bracket bit - I din't even know what OOC meant. Told you I have a lot to learn that's why I never got going in the first place.  Tim
    Had to look it up, the original was published 1904 just says 'It is years since the incidents of which I speak took place..."

Which war years then, the second Boer War ran from 11 October 1899 until 31 May 1902. I had to search on Google dates for that. Then WW1 was next I think.

timjohn

Post by timjohn on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 am

((I just had a second look at your comments, well done! This could have thrown me,{ imagine blogging, years after the event. Couldn’t happen today. Still got my nose buried in the story again to try and find the clue that dates the story.}))

The First World War 1914-18. ((I definitely have my mind fixed on this period because it’s a story waiting to be told. The Americans never had any intention of coming into the First World War even after the sinking of the Lusitania. Zimmerman sent this telegram to the Mexican Government knowing it would be intercepted. As far as I can remember he even openly bragged about sending it after it had been decoded. For maximum publicity. Lots of intrigue))

Amongst those in attendance at the mock funeral of C.A.M. were his friends and associates:
    Arthur Zimmerman – Future Foreign Secretary to the German Empire; the most likely personal responsible for drawing the Americans into the war in 1917 via a coded telegram sent to The Mexican Government – it is thought that this telegram – the notorious ‘Zimmerman Telegram’ was purposely intended to fall into the hands of ‘The Allies’ and was subsequently deciphered by them. (I have a copy of the cyphered telegram for extra effect).

The  44 year old Samuel Insull a former London boy who had, emigrated to America, and making good, working for Edison and later monopolising the electricity supply industry. He would later become a leading figure in bringing the Americans into the war. He was head of the Illinois Council of National Defense, a state agency formed to coordinate propaganda and regulate the economy.

Both of these men had been long term associates of Charles Augustus Milverton and would soon be instrumental in his campaign to further profit from munitions.
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Post by Sherlock Holmes on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I like your starter, btw! Thought it was very cool! And I don't mind long starters at all. Most of mine are quite long then posts get smaller as you get into the story and might not always have as much to say with every post.

Is this going to be entirely set in Victorian times or are they still modern people who've ended up in the past? Is there a DW/time travel element or is it just a straight forward canon-esque thing? I don't mind either way.
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks.

I had originally wanted The Doctor to be involved because of the plots historical importance. And then I read that Series 3 was bringing in C.A.M. to one of its plots. And yesterday again I noticed that Irene is being brought back as well. I swear I didn't know this when I formulated my original idea and its thrown me a bit. I've been getting ideas lately which seem to coincide with other things and it gets a bit scary.

I really wanted other more experienced role-players to get involved in the story line as I find it quite strange with a limited number of players how you have to exclude people who would normally be involved in the plot. Like 'Mrs Hudson' for instance - I find I have to rewrite probably cause I haven't really got the hang of the rules of role-play yet.

Also, it seems I have attached too much to Irene Adler's importance amongst rp's and now I'm having difficulty in finding an Irene. She was definitely one of my favourite characters in the Canon stories and obviously after the BBC resurrection I was totally smitten as I thought most fans were.

Irene is definitely a main player in this story as it will be two 'blackmailers' playing each other at their own game, which is absolutely central to the plot.

Perhaps you may have some input as you seem to have a handle on things.

The plot has quite a lot of 'tongue in cheek' truth to it as the 'Zimmerman Telegram' was probably the most important coded document in the whole war, and I thought that Samuel Insull would create some extra interest as 'Citizen Kane' was a story based on his life. And of course he had to flee to Europe after being involved in a big swindle. Being born in London and being a swindler he is a 'natural archetype villain' of the type C.A.M. would have associated with.

I really appreciate you dropping by. Tim
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Wow! I just had a freaky experience. One of the characters I chose as friends of Charles (Samuel Insull) went to work for Edison in America, and developed the Electricity Industry there. Tonight I watched 'Ripper Street' because my girlfriend said it had been good last night.  It turns out that the story revolved around a physicist, who went from England to work for Edison and he was developing electricity for public consumption. I had no way of knowing what the story was going to be about as I wrote the background to the starter before 'Ripper Street' was shown. What a bizarre coincidence.

Looks like I can't get an Irene so I might have to take that role myself - otherwise the story might never happen?
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 pm

This is my John account.

SH-221B is my Sherlock account.

You'll probably find a lot of coincidences crop up. Laughing 
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:33 am

What happens when nobody is interested in coming forward to fill roles? I was thinking of making a profile for Irene Adler, and I've spent ages developing her character in my mind (keeps me up all night, still I get 3 episodes of Brett in, in that time, and there is lots going on with The Doctor at the moment.) but then I can't see how things will work out with the other characters. Is it usual to hang around so long before launching an idea? I'm afraid I'm getting a little obsessed and I spend most of my time checking the forum and then I get a bit depressed when nothing happens.

Yes I've been noticing co-incidences - is there some sort of irrational explanation? Shocked 
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 am

I tend to plan rp-s around the availability of characters or you can wait for a missing one to come along. Or PM someone who rp's the character or who has advertised themselves as willing to play any character to ask if they might look at your advert - or play the character yourself. Avoid playing a character who interacts with yours very much or you'll end up 'talking' to yourself.

Rp-ing can be addictive!

Rational explanation for coincidences - a programme like Ripper Street would interest people who like crime and period drama, suspense, detectives, history, Victorian setting, certain actors, etc etc so some will also watch Robert Downey Jnr/Jude Law Holmes films and Brett Holmes, Rathbone films, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes film and maybe Sherlock and people who read the canon and other similar books, stories, fanvids, photos, fanfic etc which is a lot of content and a lot of people reading or watching for different reasons. Each references and draws on some of those and from past events, times, related and unrelated media, books, films, telly programmes, some we haven't seen even. There are bound to be fragments you take in, remember or half forget which inform your mindset and prompt your creativity and with so much content there are certain to be coincidences.
    timjohn

Post by timjohn on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 am

That all certainly makes a lot of  sense. Thank you. I'll try to forget that I thought I was a bit psychic and Nostradamii... I suppose everybody can get a little bit over confident.

What's this 'Private Life of Sherlock Holmes' - seems I have missed something that could prove very interesting.

I'll take your advice on asking people directly to look at the character, only I thought that may be a 'no no', although I do feel a bit awkward approaching somebody I don't know. There must be lots of people out there who would love the opportunity to role-play and learn the rules, but are nervous (like me) to ask. I knew somebody who was 'a bit bossy' and began to think everybody else was like that. Seems to be the easy way out sometimes.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 am

timjohn wrote:That all certainly makes a lot of  sense. Thank you. I'll try to forget that I thought I was a bit psychic and Nostradamii... I suppose everybody can get a little bit over confident.

What's this 'Private Life of Sherlock Holmes' - seems I have missed something that could prove very interesting.

I'll take your advice on asking people directly to look at the character, only I thought that may be a 'no no', although I do feel a bit awkward approaching somebody I don't know. There must be lots of people out there who would love the opportunity to role-play and learn the rules, but are nervous (like me) to ask. I knew somebody who was 'a bit bossy' and began to think everybody else was like that. Seems to be the easy way out sometimes.
    Just my opinion.
    Some people are born insufferable some of us have worked hard at getting this way.

Maybe people aren't like me but to be asked to join an rp is for me a very nice surprise and if I'm asked I am thrilled skinny.

I know I was nervous and I was well chuffed that someone wanted to rp with me when I was completely new to it. I read a lot of rp-s on here to try to pick up what the format was - the 'rules'.

"The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" is a Billy Wilder film 1970 & you can buy it on DVD. It's a favourite of Mark Gatiss which he draws from for BBC Sherlock, for me it has great dialogue and comedy timing, it's funny as well as having a plot.
    Irenee Adler

Job : A Lady of The Dawn
    Hobbies : Leatherwork, Entertainment, Pursuit of Wealth

Post by Irenee Adler on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:48 am

Irene Adler had quickly tired of being the wife of one Godfrey Norton, a man she had once loved with every fibre of her being. He turned out to be a boring, average Lawyer who was never going to amount to anything in the foreseeable future. And when he wasn't being boring he was absent.

Working long hours, both at his office, and at home, had caused many unpleasant confrontations. She couldn’t remember how long it had been since they had enjoyed a pleasant night out, together, and his prowess in the bed chamber had left a lot to be desired (possibly caused through the ‘knee in the marbles’ he had received from a dissatisfied client of the type that he had taken to defending).

What’s more she resented the fact that he actively encouraged her to go out alone to seek her own entertainment.

She had taken to going out to the seedy shabine's of Spitafield on occasion to try and inject some interest into an otherwise mundane existence.  Ten years, or so of married life had not faded the temptresses beautiful demeanour as she still had "the face of the most beautiful of women’ and her decade of cowing to her husband’s whim’s had only helped in honing the mind of that resembling  ‘the most resolute of men.’

It was in such a shabine that she had met this past week with an ‘American businessman’  who had been in the search of cheap thrills in the iniquitous and bawdy establishment of ‘The Gun’ close by ‘The Meat Market’ whilst chancing a trip to the area for the purpose of ‘trying’ the ‘chase of the dragon’.

She had not only been attracted to his, lean good looks, but she had also heard him shout for ale in the ‘New Jersey’ dialect that reminded her of her father.

After a healthy portion of inebriation, washed down and spiced with much reminiscence of her ‘old home town’.  Irene had been invited back to Arnold Berkeley’s hotel.

Irene and her new beau were waiting for a cab to come along and their conversation was interjected by the loud hawking of a street seller.

“Strawberries, All Ripe! All Ripe! - “Strawberries ain’t like marbles that stand chuckin’ about. They won’t hardly bear to be looked at.”

Irene was amazed when Arnold, approached the grimy merchant,  opened his purse and splashed several coins on his palm in so doing revealing amongst several half crowns, two half sovereign’s, one bearing the familiar ‘bun head of the young Victoria’  and a larger coin bearing the monarch’s latest veiled effigy.

For some strange reason Irene’s mind spanned the years. Her wedding to Godfrey… The last minute witness… She had given him a similar coin, for his trouble. Pressed it into his palm.

Sherlock’s memory came flooding back… adrenaline coursed through her veins… she caught her breath, stumbled against Arnold. He dropped the strawberries he had just purchased and helped to steady her.

As luck would have it a cab was dropping a passenger right were they where. Arnold took her tenderly, one arm around her waist – one holding the cab door, as the passenger alighted. He then helped Irene aboard.

“The Savoy!  In the Strand driver.”

Arnold barked through the hatch.

By the time they had reached ‘The Savoy’ Irene had recovered her composure and they were quickly safe inside.

Arnold turned his head at the sound of his name being called.

“Oh hello Sam?”

He smartly marched to where the caller stood with outstretched hand.

“I wasn’t expecting you until Sunday. How are?”

He shook the hand of the imposing giant in front of him.

“Irene. Come and meet my boss and best friend.”

Irene realised that somehow her life was about to change for the better in a very big way.

“Well Hello! She exaggerated her American drawl to best effect”

“Sam, this is my new friend Irene er.. Irene meet the one and only Samuel Insull – entrepreneur, newspaper magnate, Stage Promoter and all round great guy…

Sam appeared very impressed as he took Irene’s hand and bowing like a picklehaubed German Marshall… clicked his heels and planted a kiss.
    Irenee Adler

Post by Irenee Adler on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:50 am

((Sorry - trying to kick this thing off as Irene Still looking for interested parties))
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Post by Sherlock Holmes on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:36 am

Nice post!!
    Irenee Adler

Post by Irenee Adler on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 am

OK Boys! His-Doctor has opted for John.

I have settled for The Woman.

Admin (Sherlock) Would like to do C.A.M. or Sherlock.

I don't know if RP'ing allows for ghosting of characters?

I would be happy to ghost  for Zimmerman and Samuel Insull as they are incidental but important to the plot.

Do any of you have any people you can recommend to RP as C.A.M. or Sherlock from which, of course, Admin has first choice.

Also is it out of order for my proposed C.A.M.starter to be used as the background to the story by the person who gets C.A.M. ?

Pleading ignorance here but have checked several post that are already established stories in which people are back-grounding for more than one (Character?).

Post Script: "If busy come anyway!" Tim/Irenee
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 pm

I can play as Sherlock (SH-221B) or John (His-Doctor)

Yes, we do have to ghost characters with small but essential parts quite often.

study-in-zinc plays John sassy. We completed one quick case based RP together with me playing Sherlock.

There is a new member only plays as Sherlock but I don't know him at all so it'd be pot luck.

timjohn

Post by timjohn on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 am

OK SH. How about you play Sherlock, study-in-zinc plays John, Admin plays Charles and I play Irene?

At least I know I have some reliable characters who are flexible and are interested in the story.

I prefer to work with players I know or are recommended.

Nothing against other members but I've had this tale out there for a while now and I already have two other ideas drafted out with great potential.

1.) I know my limitations
    2.) I would love to play Sherlock or John someday [[dreams]] but believe its beyond my capabilities just now.
    3.) We have players we know and you can trust to pull this thing off.
    4.) Those players have played the characters before.
    5.) I can Ghost Zimmerman and Insull and I know the actual history of events.
    6.) Perhaps you or Admin could ghost Mycroft
    7.) Hope I don't seem a bit bossy (be straight if I am - I don't mind a bit of telling off Smile

Lets have your thoughts???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:01 am